Sunday, September 18, 2011

early morning and cypress

The early morning is my favorite part of the day. It's also the part of the day that I get to see least because I tend to try to sleep in.
Everything is blue or violet or grey. People are just starting to wake up. Even fewer people are out.
I tried taking pictures but it is hard to tell just how soft everything was. It all looks too bright!


One of my favorite memories is when I boarded a train at 4 AM in Luxembourg heading toward Paris(2002). The car I was sitting in was dark and most of the passengers were sleeping. I was going to meet my boyfriend David on the steps of the Notre Dame. I stayed awake for the 4 hour ride and looked out the window. It was so facinating to see the sky change from black to purple to blue. Mostly the train went through the country so this is what I got to see: Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens)!



Rows and rows of Cypress trees in the dark! So pretty. This is one of my most vivid memories. It was so peaceful to watch.

Curiously enough, the Cypress trees in Europe are so different from the Cypress trees we have down South! So strange to compare the two.
I took this picture of some Bald Cypress trees and their knees at Congaree National Forest in North Carolina:

No comments:

Post a Comment